International Student Visa Guide: US, Canada, UK, Europe, and Australia

Oct 19, 2023
3 mins read
Get into your dream university abroad with Borderless Sensei
Get Started β†’

Welcome to the ultimate guide on visa information designed to aid international students planning to study abroad in the USA, UK, Canada, Europe, and Australia. This guide aims to provide practical insights into visa types, application steps, and costs as well as official application websites. Navigating the visa application process is a crucial part of your journey, and this guide is here to simplify it for you.

Disclaimer: While Borderless aims to provide reliable and current information, we are not legal advisors. The content in this guide is sourced from reputable websites and is meant to assist international students in their visa application process. It's important to recognize that visa regulations can change, and we recommend verifying details through official sources or seeking advice from legal professionals. Borderless assumes no liability for actions taken based on the information in this guide.

πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ United States: F-1 Visa

The F-1 visa allows international students to study at SEVP-certified institutions in the US. Students can only apply for this visa after receiving acceptance from a US institution. International students on an F-1 visa can work up to 20 hours per week on-campus during the academic year and full-time during breaks. Students can remain in the US for the duration of their academic program plus an additional 60 days, with potential extensions through Optional Practical Training (OPT) based on their field of study.

Application steps

  1. Secure acceptance from a SEVP-certified US university.

  2. Receive Form I-20 from the university.

  3. Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee.

  4. Complete the DS-160 Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application form.

  5. Pay the visa application fee.

  6. Schedule a visa interview at the nearest US Embassy or Consulate.

  7. Gather required documents: valid passport, DS-160 confirmation, fee payment receipt, Form I-20, photo, and any additional documents.

  8. Attend the visa interview.


  1. SEVIS I-901 Fee: US $350

  2. DS-160 Application Fee: US $160

πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦ Canada: Study Permit

Study Permit allows international students to study at Designated Learning Institutions (DLI) in Canada. Students must first receive acceptance from a Canadian DLI. Students can stay for the length of their study program plus 90 days; upon completion, they might be eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) which can last up to three years depending on the length of the study. International students can work up to 20 hours per week during regular academic sessions and full-time during scheduled breaks, with no work permit required for on-campus jobs.

Application Steps

  1. Secure an acceptance from a Designated Learning Institution in Canada.

  2. Prepare necessary documents like the Letter of Acceptance, proof of sufficient funds, passport, and any other required documents.

  3. Complete the Forms:

    • IMM 1294: Application for Study Permit Made Outside of Canada.

    • IMM 5707: Family Information Form.

    • IMM 5409: Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (if applicable).

    • IMM 5476: Use of a Representative (if you're using an immigration consultant or agent).

  4. Submit your application online through the Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) website, or by paper.

  5. Pay the study permit fee.

  6. If required, attend an interview or provide biometrics at the nearest Visa Application Centre (VAC).


  • Study Permit Fee: CAD $150

  • Biometrics Fee (if applicable): CAD $85

πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ United Kingdom: Student Visa (previously Tier 4 visa)

Student Visa allows international students to study at licensed Student sponsors in the UK. If you're 18 or over and your course is at degree level, you can usually stay in the UK for up to 5 years. Students on a Student Visa at the higher education level can work up to 20 hours per week during term time and full-time during vacations; however, some courses have stricter restrictions or no work allowances.

Application Steps

  1. Secure an acceptance from a licensed Student sponsor in the UK.

  2. Receive a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) from the institution.

  3. Prepare necessary documents such as valid passport, CAS, proof of funds, tuberculosis test results, and any other required documents.

  4. Apply online for the UK Student Visa.

  5. Pay the visa application fee.

  6. Attend an appointment at a UK Visa Application Centre to provide your biometrics.


  • Β£490 to apply for a Student visa from outside the UK

  • Β£490 to extend or switch to a Student visa from inside the UK

πŸ‡¦πŸ‡Ί Australia: Student Visa (subclass 500)

Student Visa (subclass 500) may allow students to remain in Australia for up to 5 years in line with their enrolment. International students can work up to 48 hours per fortnight during the academic term and unlimited hours during scheduled course breaks.

Application Steps

  1. Secure an acceptance from a course registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS).

  2. Receive a Confirmation of Enrollment (CoE) from the institution.

  3. Gather required documents: CoE, health insurance (OSHC), character and health requirements, proof of funds, and others.

  4. Apply online via the Department of Home Affairs website.

  5. Pay the visa application fee.

  6. Attend a health examination or interview if required.


  • Visa Application Fee: AUD $710

πŸ‡ͺπŸ‡Ί Europe: D-type National visa / Residence Permit

The Type D visa, also known as the national long-stay Schengen visa, is essential for any non-resident aiming to study, work, or reside in a Schengen Area for more than 90 days (and up to a year). A D-type national visa also permits to travel in the territory of other Schengen Area Member States for up to 90 days during a 180-day period, during the validity period of the visa. The ability to work depends on the specific country within the Schengen Area.

Application Steps

Applying for a Type D Schengen visa often requires procedures that are specific to each country. Find information for your country here: https://immigration-portal.ec.europa.eu/index_en


  • Schengen Student Visa Fee is approximately €80 (may vary by country)

Return to All How-to Guides